Thursday, January 1, 2009

Resolutions


For once in my life I actually lived up to following through with a New Year's Resolution. I quit smoking last year. I did not want to because I always found a deep pleasure and relaxation that gave me the whole "meh. It could get worse but meh" outlook on life but I needed things to change. One thing helps: being completely broke and deciding on either a pack of cancer sticks or diapers for your youngest, so yeah, I decided on the diapers. Since that time we are more broke but I am smoke free.

But I also ponder on how my cool level has dropped since then. I am no longer one of the social outcasts of society. I am no longer counted as one of the rebels nor am I in the same category as our President Elect who steals a smoke whenever he is off camera and away from his family which is commonplace for the Illinois Democrat. I cannot be yelled at or waved to by people entering a building, psudo-coughing 30 feet away from me as they step into the building. I wil lmiss those looks from others as I would light up and they would look upon me as a social leper of the 21st Century. I have to say that smokers are treated worse now than ever and its all the Politician's fault, even though they made money on both sides of this issue irregardless. ANd I will also state for the record that the money in California which is supposed to go to the public schools has never shown up since they raised the cost of cigarettes by double, almost triple now with added taxes placed upon by those who demand the authority to tell you what you can and cannot do to yourself. What is next, gum chewing?

Even though I quit I will still defend the freedom for people to smoke. Its not the job of the govenrment to tell you what is right and wrong. But then again I feel the same way about some of the drugs which are illegal at this point as well, but I do not need to go frther on that discussion right now.

For the first time I have actually done it. I changed. I have yet to really feel any of the effects of quitting except I still would smoke one right now if I was around it. But since I have locked myself in my home with my kids I really have not been exposed to it. The real test will be going out into society and trying to follow my new resolution I made last night: Follow the Orthodox Fasts as strict as I can whioe under the same roof with a pregnant wife and soon to be four kids.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God through your strength and wisdom may I persevere over such obstacles which have been a grave error of my ways. Teach me to be addicted to you only and not anything of this world. Amen.

5 comments:

Nyssa The Hobbit said...

I'm so glad you've finally kicked the cigarettes. :) It's supposed to add years to your life.

I don't think your "cool level" has dropped at all.

I'm also glad you're planning to follow the Orthodox Fasts. I'd love to have a fellow faster giving moral support as I watch my family eating chicken nuggets etc. during lenten periods! Maybe we can exchange fasting recipes.

Chaz said...

Its the whole Humphrey Bogart, James Dean, Art Carney kind of cool...

Caeseria said...

I get what you mean about your "cool level"... :)
I too am glad you kicked the cigarettes, though, because smoking also increases your chances of Type 2 diabetes. You don't need any more health problems!
We've fallen down badly on fasts, my Lenten resolution this year will be to draw up a rule we can stick to and then stick to it!

Jason_73 said...

Hey!

Wow. That is quite a feat. Glad to hear it. Although my Dad may not think your as "cool" anymore. just kidding!

Hey, I got the new blog thingy figured out. I'd love for you to come over and check it out..

Just don't link to it using my name. I'm trying to go low profile!

Talk to you soon.

www.mylifeinbeta.net

Jason

Steve Oberg said...

Awesomely Awesome! Good stuff. I am also with you on the role of government in all of this too. I think all politicians should be required to wear helmets.