Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Flooding of Apartment #1

Late Wednesday night I got up from the computer after doing most of my school projects this week to a wet floor in my kitchen. I was craving orange juice and decided to follow through with this carnal passion for the delectable fruit drink. I was baffled as to where this water was cming from so I checked under the sink, the dishwasher and as soon as I stood up I called for Kyra to come and take a look. Whehn she arrived to the kitchen only to see that the water was rushing from the dining room, she told me that outside our apartment door in the hallway it sounded like a waterfall.

When Kyra and I opened the door to the main hallway, sure enough it was flooded beyond belief. One of our two water heaters decided to blow out and flood the bottom floor. We live on the bottom floor. This is not good. So all day today I have been pounding away at moving furniture, ruined boxes in our closets and tossing out old mementos from letters to journals to baptismal cards for our girls we stored in nice boxes now soaked through. Sad really, but at least everything else is safe.

So we survived the last flood we had in April of last year only to get hit with a man-made one in our apartment. And the funny part of it is we are still having to deal with people coming in and tending to fixing this up since we already had everything cleared in less than a day to have them come in and clean it up. I am already sick of the wet carpet smell already.

Life goes on though. At least my wife and I were there dealing with it together. It was a nice time to be with her even though the situation was not a good one. I love her dearly and the fact that she helped out while pregnant and feeling horrible really showed her love. Sometimes in the midst of the poo life throws at us its good to have your wife right next to you on the journey at every step.

4 comments:

Nyssa The Hobbit said...

If any of the letters you lost were from me, just let me know--I have copies.

Jason_73 said...

That sucks.

Sorry to hear that. You can probably tell from my blog that we have had some flooding issues as well. Lame. I hope all goes well in restoring stuff.

Jason
www.mylifeinbeta.net

Chaz said...

LOL In a way Nyssa, its kind of creepy that you keep copies of letters you send to people.

I saw one movie in the 1980's were a stalker kept everything they wrote down they kept as well as the person they were stalking and used the info to entrap them and force them into submitting to their whims. It was an awful movie, like one of those late at night Showtime 1.3 star flicks starring Ally Sheedy.

Not saying this is the case, but it sparked a bad memory when you mentioned that. :P

Chaz

Nyssa The Hobbit said...

Oh geez, I'm just saving memories like I've always done as long as I've been writing letters and diaries. I have letters going back some 20 years. I hate it when a memory fades that I wanted to keep, but it wasn't written down anywhere. I thought EVERYBODY kept their letters. Or at least every female. [phbbbbt] My goal since childhood is to one day have my entire life written down in case I want to be like Laura Ingalls Wilder. :)