Sunday, January 25, 2009

Why Me? Oh Lord- Why Me?!

Why is it that something bizarre I may have studied in the past always comes back to bite me on the butt in one form or another? Today one of my associates here in Wisconsin decided to meet me locally at one of the local Christian coffee houses for a cup of joe to discuss some new revelation he has had while visiting some of the local churches. He had nothing bad to say at least until we actually began the serious discussion.

He opened up first with the formal greetings, then the informal chit-chat about how things have been going. He is well aware that the flu has run through my home and that I am recently over it, hopefully not giving it to everyone seated near us or him. But to carry this conversation further he opened up to me about how he has come across some explanations for some the current catastrophes which have been occurring lately and how this is tied in to the end of the world. As I hear this, I begin to twitch in my leg and my right eye. I ask him to go on. Sadly he did.

My associate decided to explain to me about the Annunaki and how he believes that the Nephilim are returning to Earth from the planet Nibiri which is on its way back to our Solar System. I stared blankly at first, not believing that anyone would actually accept the writings of Sitchin as fact. Seriously, Sitchin only has a degree in Economics, not Ancient Sumerian Linguisitcs. I will explain what the Annunaki are by the way so you don't have to look up horribly made websites of lame alien depictions carved out on rock faces and statues. The only one you need to see is the one I put up at the beginning of this rant so you can kind of understand where this is going.

The Annunaki, according to Sitchin, are the race of aliens from the planet Nibiru whom we know here on Earth as the Nephilim from Genesis 6:1-4. The planet Nibiru is on an elliptical orbit around our sun and a burned out sun known as Tartarus. Nibiiru comes around every 3,600 years into our solar system. Nibiru is the supposed Planet X, the 12th Planet, and other mysterious names whic make it sound creepy, spooky and corny. Sitchin states that one of Nibiru's moons collided with another planet, the 4th planet in our solar system called Tiamat, which created the asteroid field and threw off a piece of Tiamat into another orbit which we reside on now known as Earth. The Annunaki, who are of course much smarter and more develped than we are have created our society, religion and our lives. Sitchin says that we have been manipulated by the Annunaki since the very beginning of our existence and every bit of our faiths have been infiltrated by them. Sacred Scriptures have been created, or doctored up by them to throw us off from thier plans. The Hebrew Old Testament has been altered from its original form as well as the Christian New Testament have not been kept unscathed by the Annunaki. And now, according to Sitchin, the current weather changes on Earth which we are blindly blaming on Global Warming are actually being caused by the return of Nibiru, the mysterious Planet X. Along with the return of the planet is also the second coming of Jesus, the return of the Nephilim and the destruction of the world.

As he told me this as I sat as quiet as I could, a task hard for me to do and I have given it over to Him as my burden and my Cross, he asked me what I though about this, as serious as he could have been. I gave him a calm response, as cool as I could be. He was shocked that I knew who Sitchin is and that I knew about the Annunaki, Nibiru, the Nephilim and the Sumerian religions. I explained it to him that I already studied this up a while ago and that I found several flaws to this extreme, speculative theory of Sitchin's. I told him that Sitchin's attempt at translating ancient Sumerian text has been debunked by the best scholars in the field and that Astronomers, Physicists and Professors worldwide consider Sitchin a kook. I explained that no one in their field has supported any of his works, his ideas and that they have looked into his work to try and see if any of his work is legitimate but nothing has come to show anything substantial or even valid. Nothing has been shown scientifically to have any value. My associate of course disagreed, but with no rebuttal.

Now my associate knew I have read up on Christianity but he was surprised that I knew anything about this topic. I told him that I was a master at one time of 101 useless facts. He asked me to explain so I told him my little tale-

Now many of you know that I read alot on other faiths for many years simply because I always enjoyed learning why people believe what they believe. Some of you even know that I went through an Agnostic phase during the 1990's where I traversed my own (lack of) faith looking for an answers- answers as to why I believed what I supposedly professed to believe and of course this led me to question my own faith in a serious light. During this time I looked into everything, immersing myself into things most people have no clue exists or let alone could pronounce. The Annunaki and Sitchin being something I crossed by in my studies and research was definitely not something I could seriously believe in simply because wearing a tinfoil hat in some end of the world cult does not sound remotely plausible.

Near the end of our conversation with my associate I felt saddened that he went from being a Jehovah's Witness to an Evangelical Christian to now an obscure Sitchin-reading, tinfoil hat-wearing, zealous, conspiracy fanatic. He is such a nice guy- but man, can I draw out the best of them! Why- or how- or what attracts them to me, these obscure, bizarre and outright kooky conspiracy people? Why do I attract those who always have some strange cult-like belief or who are outright nutcases- these alien abducted vegans from Alpha Centauri, recycled-soul-carrying whack jobs with aluminum hats and their own translation of the Ceti Bible they translated while in a trance with Joan of Arc, Joan Jet, or Joan Collins? Why me, Oh Lord of Heaven? Why Me?!

5 comments:

Nyssa The Hobbit said...

You poor, poor thing! How I wish you hadn't had the flu and could have been safely tucked away here at our house watching Lord of the Rings, instead of listening to this kooky stuff!

BTW, was this at Solid Grounds, by any chance? I used to go there a lot for youth group meetings. I love their Italian sodas.

Chaz said...

Yes it was at Solid Grounds. And my wife also loves Italian Sodas!

Steve Oberg said...

I have been known to enjoy an Italian Soda too, while sitting in a trance with Joan Cusack and Joan Rivers, translating my own Ceti version of the Wall Street Journal, of course!

As for your ability to attract kooks like flies with honey - maybe you've missed your calling? Perhaps you should consider starting a cult.....

Jason_73 said...

I think it is a great mission field that God has called you too. A dangerous and distracting one, but a noble one indeed.

I always admired that about you actually. Whenever you went missing I could always find you around a group of this type engaged in some abstract discussion!

Jason
www.mylifeinbeta.net
The problem with this group of folks, is that in spite of what they think is as open minded learnin`is actually a bondage. They are a difficult group to reach... May God give you favor!

Nyssa The Hobbit said...

Actually, he already has a cult--the cult of Nyarlathotep. ;) So far I've only heard of one apostate....