Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Turkey Day

Sometimes it just needs to be said for the whole year that one day we get to engorge ourselves on an ugly, harmful bird which has yet to engage in what some may call, flight. Yet every year we make some sort of trek, a rendezvous, traversing over several miles to sit down at a table of someone you have not seen for several months, usually since the last time you made the same endeavour, just to partake in the flesh of this fowl/bird.

Now my older brother Carl decided long ago he would no longer partake of the flesh of the Turk(ey). No, he decided long ago to only partake of the beast of burden, the Sacred Cow. whether the cow is hunted, or outright butchered in some shop where it has never seen the light of day nor set foot on solid ground, who is to say, but he never makes a trek, short of his work, to anyone's home mainly because he has a decent sized placed for others to traverse to his normal location. As for my family, I have no problem sitting down to partake of the sacred cow, but I do have issues when I am not able to partake of the fowl leg.

My brother Steve of course partakes of the fowl turkey. Yet he has come to the conclusion that he desires to not go to the infamous slaughterhouse of the befowled turkey. NO! He desires to go into their natural habitat and pluck the turkey from its own backyard, which sometimes in Illinois is his own backyard. This too I have no problem with. But to get up and hope that I am able to put a bead on some Jabberwocky of a bird or lest we dine on dunkin' donuts for the blessed meal of Thanksgiving, I should hope not!

Now I bought a turkey from the local Festival Foods. I even got me some good cranberry sauce- from a can! Now before you criticize me for eating meat, non-koshered and in all its fine fattening glory and exhaustive byproduct, realize this one moral lesson:

The Indians did something to the grain on the table before they served it to the Pilgrims. At least I know I would have- and I am part Injun.

Happy Turkey Day, and give thanks to the Lord for His bounty. But now what do we do with His gift to us after this day? I think its time for us to sow some seeds, Holy Father...

Blessings,
Chaz

Holy God, Holy mighty, Holy Immortal have mercy on us and save us.

1 comment:

Steve Oberg said...

Alas, this Injun had store-bought fowl this year too. Maybe I'll pluck one next year. There are a few nice juicy wabbits in my back yard though. Care to join me in some moving-target practice?